OLG receives health services through a contract with the Edina Public Schools. The Health Office is staffed by a first aid/CPR-trained Health Services Associate (HSA). The HSA provides first aid, administers medication, assists with vision and hearing screening programs and processes immunization forms. A Licensed School Nurse (LSN), who is a RN with a Bachelor’s Degree and has a Public Health Nurse license, is available to consult with parents upon request. The LSN will assess individual student health needs, plan for students with disabilities and chronic health conditions, and participate in health education programs.

HSA: Sheri Kyllo                            

LSN: Anna Sonday

Health Office Phone: 952-929-0218
School Fax:  952-929-8170                                


Health Forms & Information

Only incoming Kindergarten, all new, and 7th grade students require immunization records (others will not be kept).

All students require the Annual Health Information (AHI) Form yearly.

If a student needs medication at school, signed orders/action plans are needed (see forms below).

Required Forms Information 

K-8 Annual Health Information (AHI) Form


Introduction to Health Services

Physical Exam K-5

Immunization Record K and New Only
(form from MD office preferred)

Immunization Record

MN School Immunization

K-8 Student Health Plans:




Medication at School

 Medication Administration
Authorization Form K-8


Edina Fire Department Emergency Services & Fees 


Immunization Requirements: It is important that the parents of all students understand state immunization requirements. Minnesota Statute, Section 121A.15 states that “…no person over two months old may be allowed to enroll or remain enrolled in any elementary or secondary school…” without a statement that he/she has received the immunizations appropriate for their age. (Parent records are sufficient but must include exact date of each immunization.) Exceptions include:

  • A statement signed by a physician, that the child should not receive the vaccine.
  • A statement, signed by the parent and notarized, that the child has not been immunized as prescribed because of the conscientiously held beliefs of the parent.

Questions about any other exceptions should be directed to Edina School District Health Services Coordinator at (952) 848-4962 or the OLG Health Services Associate, at (952) 929-0218.  See also:  Minnesota School Immunization Requirements.

Medication At School

Whenever possible, medications should be given during non-school hours. When a student requires any medication at school, the student must bring:

  • Medication in the original container with directions
  • Written permission from the parent
  • A written order from the physician

All medication must be kept in the Health Office unless special arrangements are made with the Licensed School Nurse. Students with inhalers may carry them if the parent gives written permission, the inhaler is properly labeled for that student, and the student demonstrates appropriate use of the inhaler.  

The HSA shall:

  • Inform appropriate school personnel of medication.
  • Keep a record of the administration of the medication.
  • Keep medication in a locked cabinet.

The parents of the student shall assume responsibility for informing the HSA of any change in the student's health or change in medication. A copy of this regulation shall be provided to parents upon their request for administration of medication in the school.

When Should my Child Stay Home from School?

  • If a student has had a fever of 100 degrees or more, he/she should STAY HOME FOR 24 HOURS AFTER the temperature returns to normal without fever reducing medication such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen. 
  • If a student has vomited or had diarrhea, the student should STAY HOME FOR 24 HOURS AFTER the last episode. 
  • If a student has had any rash that may be disease-related or the cause is unknown, check with your health care provider before sending the student to school. 
  • If a student is ill, please notify the school each day the student is absent.  Click here to report an absence. 

First Aid and Illness

  • If a student requires more than basic first aid, 911 will be called.  Note:  City of Edina Emergency Services and Fees.
  • If a student has a Do Not Resuscitate Order, the parent should be aware of the school’s written procedure.
  • If your child is absent due to illness, please call the “Absence Line” number, 952.929.5463 ext 236. ALL COMMUNICABLE CONDITIONS should be reported to the school and notices of the symptoms will be sent to all students in that classroom (e.g. chickenpox, strep throat, etc.).
  • For a fever of 100 degrees or higher, keep the child home for 24 hours after temperature returns to normal.
  • For vomiting or diarrhea, keep the child at home for 24 hours after the last episode.
  • For a rash, check with your physician before sending the child to school.
  • When students become ill or are injured at school, the parents are contacted first. If neither parent can be reached, a call is made to others listed on the student’s emergency card. If no one listed is reached, an adult named by the student will be called. Students will not be sent home unless accompanied by a responsible adult.

Stay In Request for Recess

The school’s position is that children well enough to attend school are well enough to take part in gym and outdoor recess. A stay-in request will be honored if made by the child’s physician, in writing, and filed in the Health Office.

Vision & Hearing Screening

OLG will conduct vision and hearing screening for students in the following grades:

  • Vision: 1,3,5 and 7
  • Hearing: K, 1 and 2
  • Color Vision: Boys in grade 1

 Guidance & Counseling Services

OLG has a long-standing contract with a licensed child psychologist, Dr. Steven Kahn, who is available, at no charge, to our students and parents as part of their school enrollment. Dr. Kahn has been a part of our school community for more than 15 years.

Please feel free to talk with Dr. Kahn about concerns you might have about your child at home or at school. Parents sometimes call about behavioral problems at home or at school or difficult life events that have been affecting their children. Depending on the situation, you might ask him to meet with your child or with you as parents. In other cases, he might decide to speak with the teachers or with individual classes. He can also discuss with you whatever assessment options might be available.

Parents can contact Dr. Kahn directly at any time at stevekahn@comcast.net or 651.426.4297 or visit his website for additional parenting resources.